Managing Increased Sensitivity During Quarantine - Adventure Year Week 46

posted on: May 3, 2020

My sensitivities have been super enhanced by being away from so many other people for this period of time.  My personal energetic bubble has been able to expand at an exponential level and I'm having experiences related to other people in other places without even trying or intending to.  At times this has been a bit overwhelming to manage, so as a means of coping and finding new strategies, I decided to dive into this book after a recommendation from a fellow reiki colleague, and felt comforted by the words of Judith Orloff, MD, who helped me feel seen and understood in all of the sensitivities I have and feel on a daily basis, which currently seem to be further enhanced by quarantine isolation.







Everything that comes with this pandemic has definitely been more challenging for my clairsentient/empathic sensitivities. So, I’m grateful @purplefishhealing thought to share this book with me. Even before 2020, my sensitivities have been heightening over the last decade with all of the healing work I’ve done. I feel more whole and self-aware than ever, but also more sensitive than ever. I’ve reached a point where even someone’s anger on TV can feel like a physical assault. As you can imagine, this makes watching nightly news reports a very tricky experience except when delivered by comedians who bring a sense of levity and alternative perspective to what otherwise may be drenched in anger and fear. Horror movies? Fuhgettaboutit. I can find myself feeling overtaken with emotions, feelings, and physical sensations when I’m just relaxing in a chair working on a project that has no emotional charge, and then need ways to manage those extra sensory experiences and return to balance. I’ve done a lot of different practices to manage my sensitivities over time, but I can always learn more. It’s nice to hear strategies from a medical professional who also identifies with these sensitivities and understands the biophysical and intuitive sensory experiences that come with it. Learning more techniques for how to manage these gifts and use them more effectively in a world that often seems cut off from its feeling-based-awareness, feels very important during this time. If you or someone you know has been feeling heightened emotional/physical sensitivities during this time, perhaps this can be a helpful resource for you as well. 🙏❤️
A post shared by Anne’s Adventure Journal (@anneruthmann) on


Disconnecting from the heaviness of the news and trauma in the world has become an essential part of quarantine survival.  I have to keep consciously reminding myself to look for the good and focus on the people who are doing the right thing.  This week, Michigan made national and worldwide news by showing heavily armed protestors invading the Lansing capitol building during hearings around quarantine measures and restrictions.  It was terrifying, but it was also such a small handful of people, which was then amplified by national media over and over again.







Remember to count all the people who are going about quarantine life in a peaceful, non-threatening way, because there are millions of us. However, we aren’t going to make the news for talking with a therapist, cooking an amazing cherry apple cobbler, redesigning our living room, or finally installing some shelves in the garage. When I see news reports of angry people rallying for political means and taking advantage of open carry policy to create more fear and potential damage, I just shake my head and hope that someone tracks how many of those people end up requesting COVID-19 tests next week due to their actions. What brings me back into balance is to remember that millions of people are staying home and staying safe for themselves and their loved ones, rather than putting themselves and others in harm’s way. Peaceful people staying home are not as likely to end up in a headline, or make history anywhere other than with their own YouTube channel, TikTok Videos, Instagram Photos, or Facebook posts. I am one of those millions of peaceful people, pouring my frustrations into a journal or into chopping veggies for the next salad rather than trying to push my way into a political hearing. I’m not interested in putting myself or any of my own family members in harms way- I’d much rather make phone calls, write letters, and send donations if I have issues and concerns- because the bigger game right now is not what business I can or can’t operate, or what form of recreation I’m missing, or what store isn’t open... right now the biggest issue is just getting to the other side of a pandemic alive and well with the people I love still in my life. ❤️
A post shared by Anne’s Adventure Journal (@anneruthmann) on


When I can't handle the news and the people, I continue to turn to nature's abundance and daily gifts of life.  I may not be able to look at the news right now without feeling the hate and vitriol of the people being reported or the people reporting - but I can gaze at a flower full of hope, life, and peace - and then find my solace and hope for a better tomorrow in the planet's ability to persevere no matter what.




In a rare moment of creativity, I even found the inspiration to make watercolor paints from flowers.  It was a very satisfying creative distraction that kept me connected to the healing power of nature, creativity, and art.

0 comments, to add [click here]:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger