At first I was only going to post this on photography forums, but I realize there are quite a few photographers who read my blog but may not visit those same forums. I also know that quite a few of my friends and clients have blogs and/or small businesses, and are looking for ways to attract new readers, or to keep current readers interested. So, in the interest of making all blogs a little more addicting... (as if I don't spend enough time reading them and writing them!!), I thought I would share some ideas with the hope that others will feel free to add to this list and to share their thoughts as well!
- To improve your search engine ratings (if your blog contains searchable text; also known as SEO)
- To keep your customers (and competition) updated on your latest news and work
- To give your customers a way to personally connect to you and/or your business
- To convey your philosophy/personality/style
- To announce new products or specials
- To make your clients/friends/family feel famous and to show your appreciation to them (aka being a lovecat)
What to blog?
- Favorite images from your latest event or shoot complete with location info and any additional vendor info. Key phrases like "chicago, il" "engagement photos" "four seasons hotel" will get attract search engine rankings - website links will help as well.
- Stories about the couple or the wedding (everyone likes to feel famous, right?!)
- Your latest awards and recognition (be your own biggest fan!)
- Create a weekly or monthly feature, such as random favorite things, theme image or technique, favorite quote, fun stuff online, personal news, favorite recipe. It doesn't have to be photography related, in fact it may be even better if it isn't since it will give your clients another way to connect to you that may more closely relate to their lives.
- New products, or products that you're considering
- Questions or contests for your readers
- Sales and promotion information, deadlines for holiday ordering, holiday gift reminders and ideas - Personal news, happenings, and travels
- Random thoughts
- Ideas of things you'd like to try with future clients (planting the seed early! Trash the dress, rolling in sand and water on the beach, sky diving, etc.)
Think about the blogs you're addicted to and why you're addicted to them. Often times addicting blogs have a few things in common...
- It's not always about business
- They blog frequently and you feel like you've missed out if you haven't checked the blog in a few days, or they have a special feature that you look forward to weekly
- They make you feel good or inspire you
- They have a definite sense of personality and feel very "real" with single voice that comes through to personally connect with you instead of a stale company voice (this is the difference between a real blog and just a site for your company's latest news)
- They keep the content fresh and change things up from time to time
Here are a few blogs which I find very addicting!!
Even though this is a company blog, they do an awesome job of connecting to their readers and keeping them interested weekly! I think they actually do all of the blog ideas mentioned on the "what to blog" list above... favorite things, contests, new products, latest news, etc... they've got it all.
Tons of crazy ideas and things to do with your photos or your camera!
Amazingly creative, highly personalized, thought provoking, and interesting little bits of life on paper!
Just plain funny and often unusual! (Thank you Meg for introducing me to this!)
One which I would someday like to contribute to... (hint to past & future brides!!!)
One which I've been featured on a few times, and has some really neat images along with their stories.
An amazing guy who gave up a safe career in pharmacy to become a wedding photographer, inventor, and investor; who is now a millionaire (or is it billions now?) I visit often for the embarassing videos of his friends, but value it for his awesome business info and insights.
... and I love reading my friend's blogs!!!! If you have one and I don't know about it, please post it here or email me a link!!!
An awesome illustrator, creative soul, music lover, and cat servant!
A political critic, horse racing and classic car enthusist, photography lover and now a budding seamstress!
What are some of your favorite blogs? What keeps you addicted? How can you apply that to your business or blog? Did you find this post to be helpful or should I stick to taking pictures? ;-)
(Disclaimer: I don't think my blog is as great as it coule be, but knowing what I need to improve is half the battle. ;-)
And now... because I can't possibly create a post without also including an image of some kind. Here's my latest YouTube video pick. I find it hilarious because I'm sooo guilty!!!! :-) LOL!!! :-)
PS. If you liked this post, click on one of the LABELS below to see other relevant posts!!!
When I do year-end reviews, I often look back at my calendar to see what actually happened during the year. 2016 was the first year I comm...
After my Architecture Drone Photography experiment, I started seeing some photographers doing drone photography at weddings and I have to ...
It's funny how life works out. I started the year with a lot of different plans about where I'd be this October 23rd. It was earl...
My great-grandfather was known to many in his community as Rev. O. O. Watson, a superintendent of Everybody's Mission in Pittsburgh, PA...
When I received an inquiry about tracking down and photographing a few works of stained glass art that remained in a Brooklyn church, my he...
Wow! Eleven Years!! On the SAME blog!! I've never even lived in the same city for 11 years, and yet my blog has stayed in the same i...
Once Reiki training helped me better manage my own energy and energetic sensitivity, it became much easier for me to distinguish between wh...
Each piece laid by hand, one circle after another, perfectly surrounding the trunks of trees and filling the space between. Dublin, Ire...
Transitioning from one job, home, or place to another always involves some level of trickiness. Whether it's figuring out airport info...
Last week I received an email from a bride who was feeling a little uneasy about the turn around time on her wedding photos. She had been...