Quarantined in Michigan - Adventure Year Week 41

posted on: March 27, 2020

This week I've been figuring out how to socially distance myself in the same house as my "higher risk category" mother.  When I got off the plane at DTW, I filled out a health survey, had my temperature checked, answered some essential questions verbally, and was given verbal instructions to stay home, monitor my temperature and record any symptoms for 14 days.  I could walk the neighborhood, but it was requested that I don't go to the grocery store, and instead ask someone to go for me.

I asked both parents before arriving if they would prefer I self-isolate at a hotel for two weeks.  Both said no.  In some ways I don't know if they understood how serious things could get, on the other, I knew I could likely make it work in my mom's home where there is plenty of space and extra rooms to stay separate if needed.  When my mom picked me up from the airport,  I rode in the backseat of the car while she had fresh air on blast in the front.  When I got to the house, I decided I would only enter one bedroom, focus on using one bathroom regularly, only use one chair in the living room, and only one chair in the dining room.  This would mean that I would essentially have spaces that she wouldn't be using as much, to hopefully avoid cross-contamination.  I became extra vigilant about what my hands were touching in the kitchen when it came to shared food bags and containers.  I washed my hands obsessively to a point of cracked knuckles, which I've never experienced in my life.  I reminded her when she was coughing or sneezing uncovered.  I waved hello to my dad through the glass front door and asked him to please go home and call me on video instead.  I let my parents know I was taking quarantine very seriously, for their health.  They didn't always understand at first, but I think as the news became more drastic, and local virus numbers started rising, they started to understand the gravity of the virus and ease of its spread.





When I wrote the poem above, some people were outraged.  Mostly the hardcore gun owners.  I think their rage was really about the fact that a gun won't protect them from a virus, but it was misdirected at my poems just because I mentioned guns as not being helpful right now.  Unfortunately this is the reality- that the United States has invested heavily in arming itself against the rest of the world from a military perspective rather than heavily investing in healthcare systems that can save more lives.  Print news from this week may forever reveal the frustrations of the healthcare professionals around the world in their attempts to get the tests and the supplies they need to save lives.








The birds are very happy that Max has to stay home right now and socially distance himself through the window. Staying inside is tough, especially when it’s sunny outside (though not very difficult today in below freezing weather!) If you’re anything like me, your emotions may be going for a ride at times when you really want to feel like you’ve got it all under control. It’s OK. We’re human. We’re made of water. Like the ocean body, we have tides of highs and lows, and it’s perfectly natural. Some people deal with feeling out of control by hoarding tons of things. Some people become hyper defensive and protective. Some people deal by getting angry at others and cast blame for what they can’t control. I’m not saying these are healthy ways of managing. I’m saying that this is the reality of how people react when fear and worry are in the captain’s seat. Everyone tries to focus on steadying their boats in different ways, and it’s important we see the underlying fear beyond the outward reactions. If we don’t, we fall into the trap of taking it all personally or escalating our own emotions into overdrive to compensate and compete. Step back. Cool off. Catch yourself. Learn how to manage your emotions in the face of a world that still is very much learning how to manage itself. It’s not easy. It’s a practice that you only get to try when life gets uncomfortable. If we can mindfully learn how to steady our own emotional boat in the face of any storms that come our way, we will stay clear-headed enough to see unexpected solutions and discover new insights that open windows in places we thought only doors were possible. I believe strongly in the human spirit because of the many amazing things we have overcome and created together. We can do this, and we can even do it while watching the birds fly by while we stay home.
A post shared by Anne’s Adventure Journal (@anneruthmann) on

On March 23rd, the Michigan governor finally issued the "Stay at Home" order, a few days after New York.  However, this hasn't stopped flights landing at DTW airport, not even as of April 3rd while I write this.  A few airlines have recently offered free flights to healthcare workers from other states who can come to help Detroit's people, and some downtown hotels are also offering to provide free room and board for those healthcare workers who can't go home to their families.  The businesses that will come out on top at the end of all this are definitely the ones who are stepping up to the plate and offering to help through their services and profit margins.








Each day, I think, what do I want to remember about today? What feels important to remember about this moment? When we read history books or watch movies dramatized for maximum grip over short attention spans, we rarely get a glimpse of everyday life during those times. How people managed to create their own sense of normalcy among chaos, how they found ways to adapt, and how they created small moments of joy for themselves even in the midst of very dark realities. When I think about how I want to tell this story of my daily life, I want it to recognize those little everyday moments and thoughts. I know the newspapers and media outlets will take care of documenting the larger realities for the history books, but only I can tell this little tiny personal storyline that keeps going within the bigger story. What the history books will leave out are the ways people made due. The ways people showed up for each other in new ways. The ways people who never cooked learned how to cook new recipes by watching YouTube. The ways people danced and got friends to dance along through live video feeds to fight off feeling stir crazy. The ways people who never usually talk on the phone actually started making video and phone calls rather than just sending text messages. The ways people are opening their hearts and finding new ways to share resources and forms of support they’ve never needed or used before. Those are the stories I find to be missing from history books that need to cram 100 years into 300 pages. Those are the memories I want to be reminded of the most when we get through this and all we have are the memories. What about you? What do you want to remember about this time?
A post shared by Anne’s Adventure Journal (@anneruthmann) on


This week, the ways I've been getting through are by having video chats with family and friends.  Learning how to cook things I've never cooked before.  Organizing and cleaning when I feel motivated to make something nicer.  Embracing the small and subtle moments of goodness whenever I can.









Something simple we can do from inside our homes, even in freezing weather, is listen to the outdoor environment. To heighten our sense of hearing, and become keenly aware of our environmental sounds. As someone who normally lives in the city, the urban sounds are generally cars, mopeds, bicycle squeaks, doors shutting, people talking outside on their phones, dogs barking, and occasionally sirens or air traffic. But when the streets are quiet- we begin to hear new sounds that normally are overshadowed by the noisy city. Here in the country, the sounds are a wide range of birds, many I have yet to identify by ear alone, but in this video I was able to hear the low hoot of an owl, and the knocking of a woodpecker, among the many other more common birds that I don’t know how to identify yet, but now I wonder about. Perhaps this time will give us a chance to increase our auditory wisdom and sensitivity to the environment around us. Even in the urban fabric of Paris, I started to hear birds that I hadn’t heard before, only perceptible when the traffic diminished!
A post shared by Anne’s Adventure Journal (@anneruthmann) on




We did experience our first grocery shortage this week due to local stores being depleted of essentials.  It caused a change in how we use our well water.  We have yet to decide if this will be a permanent change or a temporary change.  I'm sure some other homes in the neighborhood are wrestling with this as well.  I think my mother also experienced enough panic and anxiety from people not keeping their distance at the grocery store that she may be feeling less inclined to keep restocking items every few days and wait until she needs more items at once.  While she may feel very youthful and young, she's still in a higher risk category than I am.





It took a pandemic for us to drink the well water. Normally we get gallons of filtered spring water, but bottled water of all types are currently hard to find in local stores where everyone runs on wells. I wonder if drinking the well water is one of the permanent changes that will come out of this period. My mom was lucky to have her water tested a while ago. This region has a few ground water supplies with arsenic and a few other unsavory chemicals due to manufacturing and farming, so testing was essential to make sure our local well was safe. Testing let us know those weren’t problems in our immediate range, and also led to having a new well drilled to improve the quality of the water. Thankfully, enough testing had been done to assure us that it is drinkable. We poured some of the filtered well water into our cups yesterday and were happy to learn that it simply tasted like regular spring water. My curious mind wants to keep home-testing the water each month now to see how consistent it is as seasons change, but if we come out of this time drinking more water from the tap, it’ll save some money, some trips to the grocery store, and use less plastic- good for us and the planet.
A post shared by Anne’s Adventure Journal (@anneruthmann) on

0 comments, to add [click here]:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger