BIG SCARY GOALS - Pricing Workbook for Creatives

posted on: May 14, 2019

I have quite a few BIG SCARY GOALS for the Pricing Workbook for Creatives.  However, I also know that in order for them to come to life, I will need quite a bit of help along the way.  Some of these feel impossible to me right now with the average projections I've seen of other similar projects, but that's never stopped me from setting big goals and attempting to go after them.  Trying for something big and learning along the way is better than not trying at all- this is just the story of my life.  This blog post is my way of writing these goals into the universe so that (just in case I die tomorrow) the book can continue its journey no matter what happens to me and my personal journey.

If I die tomorrow, I will be happy knowing that the last 15 years of figuring how to jumpstart a creative business and quickly get it to a successful point- no matter where I landed- was not experienced purely for the vanity of my own success or happiness

BIG SCARY GOAL: TRANSLATE INTO 10 LANGUAGES BY 2029
How amazing would it be if everyone could feel fully supported for the work they create and sell?  How much would it change the world if no one felt like they were undervalued in their efforts?  I believe the Pricing Workbook for Creatives can establish a sense of self-worth and creative-value that has often been squashed by industrialized societies and corporate colonial structures that haven't created many pathways for independent creatives.  It makes sense to focus on translating into the top languages currently being spoken in the world... Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin), Hindu, Arabic, Portuguese, Malay, Russian, Bengali, French, Hausa... however, if the workbook makes it into 10 languages of any kind, it will still be meeting its goal.

BIG SCARY GOAL: ESTABLISH LOCAL WORKSHOP LEADERS
Rather than trying to be a singular point person for everyone interested in this work, I'd rather support local leaders who can provide local help, localized community, and local resources.  These people will also need to build their own set of locally trusted referrals for CPAs, independent financial advisors, and lawyers to offer additional professional resources to people who need business and financial help that goes beyond the basics.  The workbook is already laid out easily for a curriculum format, but pacing can be tricky depending on how much time people have to work on it, and a lot of people may need extra hand-holding in order to make it happen.  I can't hold everyone's hand, but I can develop resources to help people find a local person who can help hold their hand.

BIG SCARY GOAL: BUILD A CREATIVE BUSINESS INCUBATOR
Creative work makes the world a more interesting, beautiful, and joyful place to live.  Creative businesses and independent creatives have unique needs and are often driven by motivations other than profit, which is why they need a supportive place that doesn't try to force them to seek investors who may be looking to capitalize on their work and then divest from it (if a creative wants to go that route- there are already plenty of options).  Likewise, many incredibly creative people never make it past the starting line because they don't come from a hefty savings account or a good supportive network for creatives and don't have the ability to get a loan to launch their creative projects.  I would like to figure out how we can best support creative businesses in their unique needs by creating a supportive program for the early years, without obligating creatives to turn over their profits later on. This is going to be a big challenge- but I have to believe it's possible to figure it out.

STARTING RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW
I have even more goals, but I find that it's better to focus more narrowly on three big scary goals, and see what happens along the path of pursuing those goals in order to determine what else may need to be done.  The path to making all of those goals happen is still wide open and and unpredictable, and I have no expectations of how it will unfold, only that these are my intentions behind creating the work and how I'd like to see it grow as it travels through the world and helps other creative businesses.  So, how am I starting right here, right now, with the resources I have in this moment?

FIRST YEAR GOAL:
For the first year of the Pricing Workbook for Creatives, I'll mainly be focusing on promotion and distribution while I'm traveling.  I need more people to meet the material where they are, with what they know, and see what kind of struggles or issues come up that can be clarified in writing.  After one year of other people using the workbook on their own and giving feedback, I should be able to revise the material as needed to make anything confusing even easier to understand in writing.  The first year will also help me create additional helpful content like more robust electronic spreadsheets, videos, software, or workbook samples that can help people out above and beyond examples that are already available in the workbook.

SECOND YEAR GOAL:
Should I end up in New York City when I get back from traveling the world (which is the plan as of today- but who knows what will happen), one of my goals is to develop a Creative Business Workshop Curriculum for Alternative Urban High School and Vocational programs.  I came from an inner-city upbringing and never would have attended High School myself if it weren't for the opportunity to be creative in Choir, Band, and Theatre.  All I cared about was performing and creating, but no one treated creative careers as options to make a living from or offered me a program that helped me turn my creativity into a business.  I started working to earn money as early as I could- and if someone had given me a roadmap that allowed me to start using my creative talents to make money at that age- I would have a huge head start on developing myself as a creative entrepreneur rather than spending more time in school systems that were training me to work for other people rather than helping me learn how to work for myself.  I had a lot of inner city friends who felt the same way I did and didn't fit into corporate structures or environments, but definitely had the inner creative drive to make their own business happen.  I'd like to make sure we are offering paths and openings for teens to create healthy lives by giving ways for them to understand how they can package their gifts and offer them to others.

Think you can help with any of these BIG SCARY GOALS for the Pricing Workbook for Creatives?!  Reach out and let me know how you'd like to be involved!!

0 comments, to add [click here]:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger