What is "Retirement" as a Creative?

posted on: May 9, 2018

I definitely caught some flack when I said that I was retiring from photography at the age of 38.  Some people thought it meant I was retiring from ALL work and had some massive pension or savings plan.  Even my own husband dissed me, like "where's the beef"... as in "pension"?  Frankly, there are many people who retire without a pension, so can we just quit with the limited definitions?  I think my favorite back-channel comments were from skeptical colleagues who assumed I had somehow failed and was using the word "retired" to cover up some kind of failure.  I find it hilarious how people love to run away with their imaginations rather than just asking me!  People love to project their internal fears and worries onto others, but thankfully I've got enough experience and success not to be phased by these kind of projections.  So, let's consider some other definitions of retirement, OK?

You are loved.  If you find yourself fighting that statement, ask what still needs to heal in order to begin acknowledging the love and support that has brought you this far. 🌹
(Art by Dale Chihuly, Photo by Anne Ruthmann)

Here's what retiring means to me... to have completed a working journey and learned all that I came to learn in my choice of photography as a career.  To me, "retired" means I did everything I wanted to do, met the challenges, figured out how to make it work for me, and don't have any challenges left that I want to conquer.  I won awards.  I spoke at conferences.  I was published in magazines.  I received international recognition.  I made a little money and then I made really good money.  I learned how to keep my business going during an economic crash.  I learned how to move my business 5 times.  I learned how to work with low end clients and then how to work with high end clients.  I sold photography packages I didn't even think were possible to sell.  I gave back everything I learned every step of the way on PhotoLovecat.  What more do I really need from a photography career?!

My journey with photography as a career feels fulfilled and complete.  I conquered the issues.  I overcame the challenges.  I learned.  I grew.  I became whole and full as a photographer, feeling secure in my work and my worth and how I operated as a creative business.  Because of this sense of completion, I felt I really needed to put everything I learned into the Pricing Workbook for Creatives so that it can help others have a great creative journey as well.

I don't know anyone else who has had to restart a creative in-person service business in as many different states as I have.  This journey has definitely been unique and taught me what I needed to get up and running quickly with the appropriate pricing and offerings each time I've landed in a new place.  This journey taught me how to hustle hard with little jobs when I needed to make freelance contract work turn into a full time income.  It has taught me how to network, negotiate, and price appropriately to meet the needs of high-demand clients without completely slitting my own creative wrists.  All of that starts from the solid foundation that I've outlined in the Pricing Workbook for Creatives.

I learned so much of this process through hard knocks, but if I can help early creatives, small business owners, and service providers have a better grasp on their value and worth up front, than I am sure that people will stop overworking and undercharging for their creative efforts.  I am certain that personal service, individual creativity, and creative careers can be extremely rewarding businesses for the right people.  Running a small business, or just operating in a fully-supported way as a freelancer is an amazing journey, one that I continue on in many different forms.  However, as for commercial photography... I feel complete and fulfilled.

I could have continued working with my amazing recurring commercial photography clients just for the money, but money can be made in a lot of different ways.  I've always been multi-passionate and one forever job just doesn't feel like it has ever been my path.  I love learning new things, and it was time to move on and learn some new things!

Never be afraid to pivot for your own development and happiness.  Society likes us to stay in a safe box of pre-defined options, but your story is yours to create, no one else's.  Do what fulfills your soul, and don't let the critics or naysayers keep you down.  Do what works for you and let your journey inspire others to do the same!

0 comments, to add [click here]:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger