Terre Haute, Indiana

posted on: March 26, 2006

My husband and I just returned from Terre Haute, IN, where he was hired as an Assistant Professor at Indiana State University. Our plans are to move mid-August, just before he begins teaching. I will stay behind until my wedding contracts are fulfilled, and will still be available for travel back to Michigan. I will definitely miss all of the wonderful people that I've met here in the Detroit area, but I know that I will be back often to visit with my family and friends.



Terre Haute is an interesting town with a lot of unrealized potential. Because of its location, it has become the chain-store shopping mecca for the surrounding counties. Its central location also puts the residents within a few hours drive of several major cities including Indianapolis, Chicago, St. Louis, Cincinnati, and Louisville. Yet, Terre Haute is a destination in itself, and after our trip these last few days- I'm beginning to see just how great this little city really is.





In the short two days that we were in town, we ate at several unique local restaurants with excellent food & service, visited a few art galleries for student, local, and national artists; toured a few historic buildings, attended an art soiree fundraiser, enjoyed a $3 movie at the historic Indiana Theatre, and even got to see a hometown Detroit band called Bump, perform at the Verve in downtown Terre Haute.


(Clicking on this image will take you to pictures of Bump at the Verve)


I'm really looking forward to all of the possibilities and potential that this small city holds for its residents and surrounding communities. I can't wait to be a part of its growth and development. We met so many wonderful people in two short days that I can't wait to return at the end of the summer. Click on any picture for a short (and insufficient) picture tour of downtown Terre Haute, IN.

5 comments, to add [click here]:

  1. Anonymous10:06 PM

    Great shots of Bump! Best band out there now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the move Anne and congrats to your husband! My mom actually spent part of her childhood in Terre Haute, although I have never been there myself. By the way, love the engagement pictures in the previous post. You did a great job under trying circumstances. I think I would have gone crazy being stuck in an elevator for that long:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello, i like your pictures. realy nice...I came in Indiana in 1994...
    See you
    kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terre Haute! I miss the TH House though, but the pictures look great; I like the Verve.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:56 AM

    Hi Ann - Hope you enjoy Terre Haute. I grew up there - check out the neighborhood of Deming Woods, in the location of Deming Park. Your pictures are very good and brought back a lot of good memories.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger