"Do not bother just to be better than your contemporaries or predecessors. Try to be better than yourself." - William Faulkner
I'm ready for an AMAZING year and I have a strong feeling that 2008 is going to exceed my wildest expectations! First, let me recap some of the amazing things that happened last year, which have set me up for an even better 2008:
- I got a new website which has received tons of rave reviews and even made some people cry (happy tears)!
- I attended the Foundation Workshop, which helped me find my true "voice" as a photographer and taught me how to edit in order to really bring that voice to life in my work.
- I co-hosted my first workshop for photographers and the reviews proved it to be a great success!
- I attended WPPI which helped me decide which products and services were going to be best for me and my clients.
- I won several awards in WPJA and AGWPJA contests!
- I was published in Brides Magazine and featured on The Knot!
- Couples hired me from all over the country to photograph their weddings happening everywhere from LA to DC, all while living in this small town of Terre Haute, IN!
- I hired lots of people to help me streamline my business so that I can focus on giving my clients the best of everything!
- I bought a new Mac Book Pro to help me be more efficient while I'm on the road.
- I completely sold out all of my 2008 wedding openings before 2007 even ended!
... and this year is going to be even better?! I can't wait!!!
I'm not much for new year resolutions, but I am someone who loves to set goals and continually strive toward improvement! So, here are my goals for 2008:
• Spend more time with family and friends
• Improve turn around times for clients
• Blog more (is it even possible?!)
• Update website
• Give more to others
• Work on more personal art projects
• Read (or listen) to more books
• Make things even easier for my clients
• Learn as much as possible from others
• Take better care of myself
• Help at least two people change their lives for the better
I think the first and the last goals are going to be the most difficult, because they aren't something that can be measured by concrete numbers or actions- they are measures of improvement based on the perceptions of others. They will have to be measured by those involved and it will be up to them as to whether I have accomplished my goals or not! EEK!
I've always been considered a little bit crazy, but I'm OK with that, and here's why.... (press play)
One of the things I decided last year was that I was going to spend more time and money investing in myself and my education, as well as sharing my knowledge and experiences with others. I'm completely self-taught when it comes to photography. I've never really had a mentor, but have often been a mentor to others. This year I really want to learn as much as possible from others, so I signed up for a ton of workshops!! I'm even teaching a few, which is just as educational as attending because of the feedback involved. Here's what I have on my calendar as of today...
1/16 Indianapolis, IN: Teaching Mini Apple Media Project Workshop for IMEA
1/20-23 Louisville, KY: Attending Flourish Workshop
1/24 Louisville, KY: Exchanging ideas with Eric Graf
1/28 Indianapolis, IN: Exchanging ideas with some great female photogs
2/7-8 Indianapolis, IN: Business Consulting for S.S.
2/25-3/1 Bald Head Island, NC: Attending Love Affair Workshop
3/16 Las Vegas, NV: Attending Pictage PartnerCon
3/17-20 Las Vegas, NV: Attending WPPI
3/20 Las Vegas, NV: Guest Shooter for Leavin' Las Vegas
3/24-26 Indianapolis, IN: (tentative) Attending OSP Indy
4/2-4 Holland, MI: Speaking for OSP West MI
7/14-20 Bologna, Italy: Attending/Photo'ing ISME Conference
10/5-8 New Orleans, LA: Attending Image X Workshop
March is going to be a VERY full month for me with weddings in between each workshop (very unusual to have so many March weddings), but thankfully I have most of April free to recover! On top of the workshops, I have a very special project I'll be working on in February with Northernlight Filmworks and some of my amazing clients/friends. ;-) I'm so proud of the concept and I can't wait to share it with you when it's finished!!
Just sharing all of this makes me so pumped!! I'm ready for a little Black Eyed Peas... how about you?! (press play and get ready to dance!)