Oscars

posted on: February 25, 2007

Did anyone else notice that the Academy Awards have become SuperBowl-like in their commeericals? Only, instead of going for the biggest laugh, they go for the most emotional impact with dramatic imagery and powerful music. Ever since I studied advertising and marketing in my early years of college, I've never stopped analyzing commercials and print ads from a marketing perspective. My husband was looking forward to the iPhone commercial, which makes total sense to see at the Oscars, since it's really the creative part of the population who tends to use Apple products. I had to laugh so hard when I saw the Vista commercials because Mac has been doing those things for a while now!! Did you also notice that Diet Coke was the star at the Oscars, but at the Superbowl, it was all about Coca-Cola Classic? Very different strategies in their advertising as well!

As a lifelong choir geek, I loved the Elements & Motion choir. I first heard about a similar choral venture when I saw the Honda commercial (video below). When I was in the Oakland Chorale, our director Mike Mitchell loved to perform music that really stretched the abilities of the voice and the perception of what it meant to be a choir - which is where I developed a deep appreciation for uncommon uses of the voice. It's pretty amazing what a bunch of voices can do, isn't it?! (Not to discount the dancers, which were totally amazing as well!)



Funny quote: "Sound editing is much like sex. It's usually done alone, late at night, and among a bunch of electronics." "And if you want it done right, it's best to pay for a professional." Oh... how true this is with photo editing as well!!

The Oscars have gone GREEN!!!! YAY!!! (Although we all know they can probably go a lot further in their efforts, every little bit helps.) Visit ndrc.org to find out how you can be a little more green in your everyday life. Also, feel free to scroll down in this blog and make a donation to help further research in environmental & energy studies.




I LOVED the Cameron Diaz, Gwenneth Paltrow, and Helen Mirren dresses!!! Can you just imagine those as wedding dresses?! OMG!! I totally agree with the choice of Marie Antoinette for the costume design, it was so haute couture while also reminiscent of the elegance of the past. That movie was short on dialogue but loooong on pure beauty and eye candy! The directing and camera work were stunning and I found tons of visual inspiration for my wedding photography from that movie. It also had a really cool soundtrack which made it all the more fashionable.



After watching the Academy Awards I realize just how many big movies I missed this year, so I'll have to go back and watch them - especially the foreign flicks. I'm so glad that Little Miss Sunshine & Inconvenient Truth walked away with Oscars. They were some of my favorite movies last year and now I can't wait for Roger Ebert's Overlooked Film Festival in Champaign, IL. Even though the tickets sold out in November 2006, I've heard it's possible to get into some flicks by simply taking a chance on going to individual shows.

This was one of the most profound scenes from Little Miss Sunshine... and I must say that it stirs a fear in me... having to give up a dream to something which you have no control over...


OK - enough blogging for me!! I'm organizing and presenting for an Indianapolis workshop for photographers this week and we start tomorrow! Never a dull moment in my life!!!

0 comments, to add [click here]:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger