8 Must See & Do Things for Brisbane, Australia

posted on: April 27, 2013

I love Brisbane.  I lived there for 5 months last year and now that I've been gone for a year, I miss it even more than I did just months after leaving!  I was recently asked what are the MUST see things to do in Brisbane, and while I could probably give a massive list, I realize many people are doing other things while they are visiting, so if you can just accomplish these 8 things- I feel you will have an amazing overview of why I am so in love with Brisbane, Australia.
Brisbane Story Bridge, by the same Architect of the Sydney Bridge


#1 West End Market on Saturday mornings- for the best of local Australian culture, food, and handmade goodies: http://www.daviesparkmarket.com.au

I <3 Sampling #brisbane #westend

#2 South Bank Lifestyle Markets on Friday & Saturday night- even if you don't buy anything, the atmosphere is awesome at South Bank in the evening, and even more awesome on Friday night when the market is set up and the streets feel friendly and welcoming
https://collectivemarkets.com.au

Sunday afternoon @Bris_Powerhouse are always full of great indie musicians. #brisbane #music

#3 Live Spark at Brisbane Powerhouse on Sundays- this is a great way to sample local music for free, grab a bite and a drink at the bar, or just take in the view of the river with some great music in the background. The best way to get to the PowerHouse from most of Brisbane is via CityCat ferry
https://brisbanepowerhouse.org/whats-on/

I'm on a boat // #febphotoskill #landscape // #febphotoaday #10AM // #brisbane #fromwhereisit

#4 Ride the Full CityCat Route- Speaking of CityCat, this is just part of the public transportation system, but it's such an awesome way to get around the city with the wind blowing in your hair and the river views of the city. Take it from end to end and explore whatever you can from each stop. It runs frequently so you usually don't have to wait that long. I don't recommend getting a car in Brisbane, especially if you're not used to left-side driving- just take public transport everywhere - it's easy, clean, and ridiculously more convenient than having a car and trying to find parking everywhere.
https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-transport/public-transport/citycat-speedycat-ferry-services/citycatspeedycat-ferry-terminal-locations

The gorgeous newspaper reading room at the QLD State Library in #Brisbane, with newspapers from all over the world.

#5 State Library of Queensland & QAGOMA- my two favorite places to spend hours upon hours during weekdays in Brisbane. There are ALWAYS free events at the Library, great wifi access and a lovely cafe. QOMA exhibits are AMAZING - I have been blown away every single time- try to go for an event night if you can- much more bang for your buck!
https://www.slq.qld.gov.au
https://www.qagoma.qld.gov.au

#6 Schonell Theatre at Queensland University- this is a bit of a hidden gem in the city as it offers great independent films for a super fabulous price and there's usually a quality pizza + movie special available for ridiculously cheap as well. Australia gets many really interesting films from all around the globe - but they are often far behind on the mainstream movies in the states. I like the more interesting stuff better:
http://www.schonell.com/what-s-on

#interiordesign wood, glass, and metal light and ceiling #decor #brisbane

#7 Cloudland & Fortitude Valley- I can take or leave many of the bars in Fortitude Valley, however Cloudland is an explosion of imagination, texture, and design!! You must not leave Brisbane without stepping foot inside Cloudland during daylight hours. You can usually grab a bite for lunch during the week after 12pm or on the weekend during the day if you want to avoid the nightlife crowd and heavy cover charge.
https://www.cloudland.tv



#8 Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary- This is perhaps the most touristy thing on my list, but it would be a shame to visit Australia and never once cuddle a Koala, see a Wombat waddle, a Tasmanian Devil run in circles, or be face to face with a Kangaroo or Wallaby. You can do all of those things at this sanctuary, and it's a nice ferry ride along the river to get there.
https://koala.net

I could go on and on.... but if you just accomplish these 8 things, you will see why I am head over heels about Brisbane!!!

3 comments, to add [click here]:

  1. I love cloud land. They offer really great lunch food. I could just sit their for hours just looks around at everything. Its a wonderfully built building. Especially the water feature at the front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fantastic and nice post.Thanks for sharing such a great post about brisbane.
    John Pellow

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping to visit Koala Sanctuary and I would like to know if you could give me some pointers.

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger