Flourish Workshop Vol. 2

posted on: February 3, 2008

anneruthmann-57.jpg

One entire day of the workshop was dedicated to shooting and lighting. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of shooting models during workshops. I don't really need the models for portfolio material, and unless there's some brilliant new method of lighting or shooting that I didn't know about, I don't get a whole lot out of watching other people shoot either. However, even with all of that baggage, I still found the shooting and lighting part of the Flourish Workshop to be better than many others I had previously experienced! I really loved the studio lighting information, since it's something that I don't have as much experience with, and I absorbed every little bit of info I could get! Of course, working in Angela's huge studio with soooo many different lighting possibilities was incredibly spoiling and fun to experiment with! Of course, it also made me lust after having similar possibilities for myself one day. ;-)

We started the day off with Kimberly shooting natural light for two different couples, first up was our casually dressed Angela & Luke...
anneruthmann-8.jpg

anneruthmann-10.jpg

anneruthmann-9.jpg

I can't pass up a funny out-take moment!
anneruthmann-6.jpg

Then our evening wear couple, Lizzie and Sam...
anneruthmann-1.jpg

I looooved her dress!
anneruthmann-3.jpg

anneruthmann-2.jpg

anneruthmann-27.jpg

anneruthmann-32.jpg

anneruthmann-43.jpg

anneruthmann-40.jpg

I have to be honest and say that I spent most of my time shooting the other photographers during the natural light sessions, but I'll save those pictures for another post. ;-)

Once we got back into the studio, Angela shared a variety of different lighting possibilities for her bridal sessions, and she had some gorgeous girls on hand with beautiful dresses and makeup to match! I really love how she created each lighting, scene, and pose based on the overall style of the bride- it definitely gave me something extra to think about toward enhancing and customizing each session.

anneruthmann-53.jpg

Our romantic/classic bride was Erica, wearing a Romona Keveza gown..
anneruthmann-70.jpg

anneruthmann-71.jpg

I love Angela's silhouette in this image..
anneruthmann-52.jpg

Our modern/trendy bride was Sarah, wearing an Amsale gown..
anneruthmann-61.jpg

anneruthmann-62.jpg

anneruthmann-60.jpg

By the way, since I'm not a huge fan of photoshop, you should know that 95% of these images are just great light, beautiful makeup, and gorgeous girls!

anneruthmann-59.jpg

This veil was phenomenal! I loved the variety of textures! I seriously never thought I could fall in love with tulle until I saw this veil!
anneruthmann-69.jpg

My absolute favorite bridal was our avant-garde bride, Leah with her feathers and forties look in her Paloma Blanca dress!
anneruthmann-66.jpg

I'm crazy about the feathers!
anneruthmann-64.jpg

anneruthmann-68.jpg

... and this is how she got in that position in the first place- with Kitty's fabulous posing...
anneruthmann-67.jpg

Angela whipped up some pretty interesting looks too...
anneruthmann-55.jpg

... but I can't resist a great smile...
anneruthmann-63.jpg

Another great behind-the-scenes silhouette, this time of Gary, Angela's hubby and workshop lighting guru. ;-)
anneruthmann-56.jpg

I think someday I may put together a book of all the pictures I take of people without their eyes...
anneruthmann-65.jpg

If you aren't on eye-candy overload at this point, hold on to your seat, because it only gets steamier from here!!

WARNING: before you scroll down, perhaps now is NOT the best time for your boss to walk by and see you looking at my blog!

anneruthmann-76.jpg
Kitty finished off our whirl-wind day of shooting with her approach to boudoir photography, which she calls "Lights Out". Kitty's approach is different from mine in that she creates more of a fantasy session with various costumes and props- removing her subjects from their everyday lives. Where I'm much more of a purest and a minimalist, focusing on form, shape, and lines that occur naturally and simply. I think it's great that there are so many different boudoir approaches to choose from, and it was fun stepping out of my box and shooting a different style for a little bit. The girls were awesome, and so gracious to let us publicly share images of them in more intimate attire.

anneruthmann-79.jpg

I love the shadows in this next one! They were created by someone standing next to me on a ladder, and I decided to include them in my frame to add an element of form and a secondary element of interest...
anneruthmann-95.jpg

anneruthmann-80.jpg

anneruthmann-78.jpg

anneruthmann-86.jpg

Even when I'm shooting a completely different style, I still seem to naturally prefer black & whites for boudoir work!
anneruthmann-81.jpg

anneruthmann-84.jpg

But i did try to keep as many color as possible, especially when the color element was a strong part of the image....
anneruthmann-93.jpg

anneruthmann-85.jpg

anneruthmann-94.jpg

anneruthmann-89.jpg

anneruthmann-83.jpg

anneruthmann-90.jpg

One of my faves..
anneruthmann-88.jpg

I was going for cool shadows...
anneruthmann-91.jpg

.. and I ended up with shadow puppets... ha!!
anneruthmann-92.jpg

anneruthmann-99.jpg

By the way guys, the ring is fake.. this girl is hot and single... and she's hilarious!!
anneruthmann-96.jpg

anneruthmann-100.jpg

We called these the spicy sausage panties...
anneruthmann-97.jpg

anneruthmann-98.jpg

It would be a shame if I didn't give special thanks to the dream team that made these gorgeous girls look even more amazing!

Dresses were courtesy of Bluegrass Bride
anneruthmann-54.jpg

Makeup Artist, Ana Crane-Simpson
anneruthmann-74.jpg
anneruthmann-77.jpg

Hair designs by Rodney Farmer, Salon Figaro, Lexington KY (sorry, no pic of him hard at work! He was awesome!)

Thanks again to all of the models who worked their butts off and did an amazing job!

3 comments, to add [click here]:

  1. Oh I love those - especially the silouettes from behind the scenes! I better save my pennies to attend the next Flourish workshop! Beautiful work as always Anne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great images, and coverage of the workshop Anne! I had not heard of this one before, but I see it was jam packed with cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Anne... Fantastic picures. Looks like you were able to get some exciting stuff. Great work Anne!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Ask Anne All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger